Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Kristin Cooks

As I have entered my late 20s and now my VERY early 30s, I have picked up a new hobby....COOKING! I love to work at a stove, creating a beautiful dinner, side dish or appetizer to share with friends and family. As I entered into adulthood, I wanted to contribute to our family gatherings with a dish made by ME, but was always just a bit intimidated. My family is full of wonderful chefs (especially my mother) and rarely did someone from the children generation bring anything other than a bag of chips, soda, or salad…you know the safe stuff.

It wasn’t until I stumbled upon a glorious woman named Rachael and an even more glorious show called 30 Minute Meals, was I given the confidence needed to COOK FOR OTHERS (without them gagging). It OPENED my eyes and made me believe that I could be a chef…okay I could be a cook. I have roughly 3 of her books on my shelf….okay maybe I lied, I have 7 of her books, 3 of her pots (one that I cook in almost daily), and I receive her magazine as well. But who’s counting? I just love her no non-sense personality, down to earth outlook on preparing meals, and the fact that she may give you a lower cal option for the recipe, but she definitely doesn’t use it. I just LOVE HER and her EVOO. Since first meeting the one and only Rachael Ray (via television, the food network, books, magazines, internet, etc), I have become a complete fan of the Food Network and prefer it to almost any other channel. There, I have learned how to contribute to family functions in a way that doesn’t scare family, friends, children, and even small animals. Some people even look forward to seeing what my latest dish will be.

Recently, I have been introduced to a simply wonderful blog (by my simply wonderful youngest sister, Ms. Trish), The Pioneer Woman (http://thepioneerwoman.com/). I now have her cookbook The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl and enjoy reading her almost daily blogs about her life on a ranch. I believe I have found my next Rachael Ray. Soon I will have 7 of her books, 3 of her pots, and subscribe to her monthly magazine. But who’s counting?

Our family's next great Chef! Milli and I made cupcakes for Matt for Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment